Sunday, January 11, 2009

Goals...shmoals! Here we go 2009!

Goals scare me! I know that sounds weird. I have plenty of "goals", but the idea of putting them out there for everyone to know when I have or haven't reached them scares me. I think if I just called them something else, maybe it wouldn't be so intimidating... like maybe if I said "My dreams for 2009 are... " That sounds a bit more light and fluffy and not so set in stone, do or die. We can dream about a lot of things, but that doesn't mean we have to go crazy to fulfill those dreams, right?

So, it's six in the morning and dark out and I'm "dreaming" about 2009. Okay, the economy sucks -- as if any of us needed to be reminded about that. I have had several good friends lose their jobs this past year, some almost lose their homes, and I am thankful each day I walk into my job at the real estate company and don't hear the words "Devon, we can't keep you on anymore". I'm also a bit afraid of what Obama might do to our democratic, free country... but I really don't want to dwell on this depressing stuff... it really isn't like me. Soooo.....

Let's focus on the good stuff! I know that I have tirelessly mentioned how much I love to travel. But, I can't think of a better way to start out the year than with a ski trip to West Virginia. I've never been to West Virginia and watching Dallas tackle those slopes like a champ was a blast! And then in February, I get to go to North Carolina to visit Leesa (and run this silly little thing called a HALF FREAKING MARATHON). I haven't ever been to North Carolina either, so I can't wait to see that beautiful state with a beautiful friend. After that... the sky is the limit. We don't have any vacations planned right now... but I do love to plan! (Holy cow...I just saw a skunk run across my front yard... is that a bad omen??? I hope not!) Anyway... sorry about the interuption... I love to plan and hope that this year will bring a trip to Colorado for us to see Bart's dad. He had a massive stroke last year and we STILL haven't gotten to see him (Bart has, we haven't), so I really hope that we will make it out there. (OKAY... that skunk just ran by again... this is freaking me out!! )

Apparently I am a little ADHD this morning. Dreams... okay... let's talk about races for a moment. On top of the race in North Carolina, I am signed up for the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in April. YES, I did say MARATHON, not 1/2 marathon... but I really don't think that completing the whole thing is really what I will do, but what the heck... it's worth a try, right? I want to do at least two olympic distance triathlons (maybe the Chattanooga one and the Music City Tri -- that's a picture of Shelley and me waiting to drowned at the last Music City race). Then of course, I DREAM of completing the Ironman 70.3 in Augusta, Georgia in September. I have actually convinced (I think) two other friends to do it with me, so that will help me reach my "dream". I don't think I will do any more sprint distance tri's but I want to volunteer at as many as I can. I want to do several long rides (hopefully some with Glenn), maybe not a century, but at least a few metric centuries.

As for the rest... Chelsie will graduate this year (YIKES!) and is off to Tennessee Tech in the fall (DOUBLE YIKES!). I'm going to miss her more than I can even express, but I am so excited for her! Simply watching her enjoy her final days in "high school" and heading off to college is the best dream I could ever imagine for 2009! Dallas is a sheer joy to be around, so he's easy. I would love to have him do the GJCC sprint tri with me again this year, but that's my dream and not his, so if he doesn't want to... that's okay. He will be finishing up 7th grade and starting 8th in the fall... I just hope he has a blast with his friends and keeps up his happy, sweet personality (I'm not ready for puberty with him... can we delay this as long as possible, please??)

For Bart, I hope that he gets to spend more time with his dad and what a dream it would be for his dad to be able to start talking again! All I dream for Bart is that he enjoys what he does each and every day and can do it with a smile on his face (I get depressed when he doesn't wake up with a smile!) This is a picture of him working on our kitchen. He told me yesterday to start picking out paint colors and carpet -- what a DREAM it will be to have paint on our walls and new carpet in the living room!

Okay... so like I said... there aren't a lot of goals here... just a lot of dreaming of the future...whatever it may hold. Time does seem to skoot by awful fast these days (2010 will be the year of my 20th high school reunion -- OH MY GOD!) So, may 2009 slow down just a tad so we can savor each and every minute with those we love and enjoy each day like it's our last! HAPPY 2009 EVERYONE!!

1 comment:

gopowergold said...

Devon....you are my HERO! I love reading your thoughts and goals and dreams....keep dreaming; that is the icing in life :).