Sunday, November 30, 2008

So much to be thankful for!


To love and be loved is to feel
the sun from both sides.


Sometimes I just can't believe how blessed I am! I am surrounded by my favorite people. It may sound corny, but my husband and kids are my best friends. Dallas is my fun guy, my hugger, my pleaser. He wakes up with a smile and a hug and it only stops when he goes back to bed. He is a joy in every sense of the word. Chelsie is my conspirator, my courageous hero with the strength and love to conquer any problem, my sweetheart. With Chelsie, I know I can accomplish anything I set my mind to... she is my fearless sidekick. Bart is my supporter, my armor and shield, my strength. Bart gives me the energy and nerve I need to face any challenges that come my way. We may disagree, but we never fight. We may be apart, but we are always together.

With a team like that... I know I can do it all :) As a family, we have so much fun together. We laugh, we play, we romp. Even in the frustrating times, we somehow find a way to make fun of the situation.

I'm thankful for our health, our happiness, our hectic lives. Homeschooling has brought more joy into my life than I ever thought possible. It's impossible to describe the gratification and pleasure I have received spending these unforgettable years with my kids. We've had some hard times, but we are so much stronger having come through them.

And now the triathlons. My athletic ability in high school consisted of chasing balls as the team volleyball manager and spinning a flag around in band. In college, I dabbled at the gym but didn't accomplish much. But then Bart bought me a mountain bike as a wedding gift and persuaded me to start riding. We once took at trip to Canada (just the two of us) and spent a week riding tons of mountain bike trails. In Tennessee, we have had trouble finding mountain bike opportunities, so I started hitting the road instead. I met a group of riders (who are crazy fast but very patient), who taught me the love of riding. I completed my first century (100 miles in 7 hours) with my untiring friend, Glenn, after my first summer of riding. I was addicted. And then, after a bad experience at a swim meet, Chelsie and I decided to team up to do a triathlon. She swam, I biked and a friend of mine ran. After our first triathlon in Knoxville, I was in love. I only wanted to do more. After a summer of doing triathlons as a team, I decided to try one on my own. Running has been the hardest for me, but now I am addicted to that as well. I dislike the swimming part, but can hold my own. Both of my kids can swim faster than me, but they give me fabulous advice and support. They both even come to the lake and train with me when I don't want to go by myself. So that's it... the birth of a triathlete :)

My family, our life, my distractions... just a few things I have to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ok, I am a little worried that you are blogging at 5 am on a Sunday, but if what you wrote is what we as viewers can come to expect, I am all for it!!!! Beautifully said and a beautiful family Devon! Cute background! :)

Leesa Ann Bogart-Lundrigan said...

I loved reading your blog about your family Devon! What a great treasure this will be for your family to read in the future...your write so beautifully and it brought tears to my eyes. How blessed we truly are with such wonderful husbands and children. So many do not share such blessings as we do. You have inspired me more than you know and am grateful we are dear friends! I cannot wait until February!!!!

Stan's Wild World said...

Great blogs... Love the band video... Donna and I occasionally rock out to them.. Bart has made a couple of copies of their old CD's..

Stan