Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Words

Words fascinate me.  How we chose them, use them, and live them out in our daily lives.  I never was such a word fanatic until I started hearing God whisper them to me.  The first one I heard from Him was "patience".  He whispered it to me at a time when the very last thing I wanted to hear was the word patience.  That word became my focus.  For a year or more, I studied that word.  Found every place in the Bible it was referenced, studied it's root, devoured anything that would help me learn more about patience. But one day, He placed a new word on my heart... and then another... and then another.  I used to think, why does God speak to me with only one word at a time... until I realized that He was saying much more -- all I was hearing was that one word that struck to the core of what He was telling me.  Words do that to me now.  They strike!  Some words encourage. Say the word peace.  When I hear that word and truly think about the peace that God showers over us -- as soon as I put that umbrella away - BAM - there is a peace that is indescribable. Some words hurt... until He reminds me that it's my emotion, my reaction to the word that has given it it's value, it's strength... not the word itself. And that is what He reminded me today with one precious word.

Honesty seems a bit scarce these days. Of course, I've always considered myself an honest person.  I don't blatantly lie about things. But I can hide.  Hide from things that hurt. So this morning, I went to Him for some advice and the word "honesty" smacked me in the head.  Actually, He said "Be honest, precious one." (He is sweet like that.)  Honesty can be difficult when you have been used to wearing a mask all your life.  Honesty requires that we remove that mask and say "Okay world, here I am." When He told me to be honest, my first thought was about the pain that could come from being honest.  When I tell someone what I really feel, the backlash that could come from that is going to be painful.  But He reminded me "The pain and hurt is already there... festering -- and it's only going to get worse.  You can't ignore the pain - you have to face it with courage, grace and LOVE - its the only way to make the pain, the fear WORTHLESS.  You hold on to your pain like it's a trophy, a badge -- don't make the pain your identity... make love your identity.  To do that you need to hand that pain over to Me and let it go.  Take that pin off your chest and be who I created you to be... be who you are." 

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be 
what we pretend to be. Socrates





The   greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
Socrates
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/honor.html#LpOuoygvTJqtGyQ7.99
The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
Socrates
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/honor.html#LpOuoygvTJqtGyQ7.99

No comments: