The enemy tries to use 'ink' in our life -- trying to never let us forget the past or burying it so deep that it festers and causes more problems than that single event itself. That morning, through a simple analogy, God revealed to me how much I needed to stop hanging on to the past, bringing up old wounds, throwing them in someone's face ("remember what you did to hurt me"), or throwing them into my own face (guilt and shame). But instead, to slowly heal those wounds by erasing their impact on my life AND moving forward with respect, honor and communication -- again, it's called forgiveness.
Yesterday, God showed me ANOTHER pencil analogy. This past week had been tough. I won't bore you with the details, but it was one of those weeks that I know everyone can relate to. By Friday, I was D.O.N.E. I could barely muster a smile, certainly couldn't be "engaging and supportive" in any conversation, and simply wanted to put that rotten week behind me by vegging on the couch and staring at the TV. Blah! I hate feeling that way. I knew that the enemy had gotten the upper hand and was having a party in my head with lies and I was too exhausted to focus long enough on God's truth about me to win the battle. I felt defeated, rejected, and worn. WORN TO A NUB. You know, one of those tiny little pencils that has been sharpened so many times that you can barely write with it.
I'm sure you can relate...how after what feels like a continual battle from all sides -- the needs of others, the drama created unnecessarily by the world around us, the lies we've been believing and the yokes we have placed around our own necks -- eventually it just wears us down.So, to sum this up, I've decided to change my initial analogy -- the key in life is to "be the MECHANICAL pencil". It really makes sense. The awesome thing about God is that He is always right there, waiting to fill you up... with His love, grace, mercy, tenderness, compassion... what ever you need. Whenever you start to run low on "lead", you just turn to Him and BAM.... more life, more freedom, more strength to face the battles, more courage, more love... MORE OF WHATEVER YOU NEED! No need to worry about the world wearing you to that place where all you feel is small and worthless, but instead you are a glorious, always ready to be filled, beautiful and perfect creation, that not only gets refilled by our amazing Creator, but you always have the ability to erase those feelings of rejection, unworthiness and fear with one swipe of His Almighty grace, mercy, peace, joy and love. Who wouldn't want to be a mechanical pencil, I ask you? :)
2 comments:
Great analogy, Devon! As I was reading your words, I realized how much it applied to areas in my life, too; it was demonstrated so eloquently with your words. It's amazing how God speaks these truths to us so that we can more fully understand. Thank you for sharing!
I had one last thought as I finished reading about equating ourselves as a mechanical pencil - I tend to push too hard in life; it is in my nature that if something isn't working, I need to try harder, push harder, to more, etc. With a mechanical pencil, that gets continually replenished by God, we don't have to push so hard or try too hard. Because if we do, as we all know, the mechanical pencil breaks, which is frustrating. I shunned mechanical pencils for years because I knew that I would push too hard on it. In a crunch I had to use one the other day, and realized that when I just relaxed and used it gently, it caused me no frustration!
Such is life, right? Let God do the pushing! Thank you again for your beautiful analogy.
Sharon --
I love your addition to the analogy! You are so right... we push and push in our own power hoping to accomplish something when really we need to just "be still" and let Him do the pushing! You have no idea how much I needed to hear that this morning.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your self with me, Sharon!! I love you!!
Post a Comment